Diversified actively advocate fair trade and environmentally responsible products. We work closely with our suppliers to source fair trade products and also push for recycled, recyclable or biodegradable packaging.
We also have a range of products that can include EcoPure ensuring any product waste ending up in landfill is fully biodegradable.
What is EcoPure?
EcoPure is an organic compound that, when added in small amounts to plastic, renders it biodegradable.
What does biodegradable mean?
When something biodegrades, it can be completely consumed by microorganisms, leaving only natural elements like water, biomass (nutrient-rich
soil called humus) and biogas (either carbon dioxide or methane).
How does EcoPure work?
The reality is that most hotel amenity bottles find their way into landfills, sitting there for thousands of years and taking up a lot of space.
Microbes, the organisms responsible for biodegradation, feast on things like apple cores, banana peels and the like. Typically, microbes ignore plastic, but EcoPure makes plastic just as appealing to their “appetite” as a banana peel.
How long does it take for plastic treated with EcoPure to biodegrade?
The reality is that, unless it has been incinerated, every piece of plastic ever created still exists. Why? Because it was designed to last forever. One can expect that, left on its own, plastic may possibly biodegrade in 1,000 years. When treated with EcoPure, plastic will biodegrade in 1 – 20 years in a typical landfill.
Is plastic treated with EcoPure recyclable?
Yes, and we would encourage doing so whenever possible! Knowing that most hotel amenity bottles are thrown away and that it is difficult to
recycle bottles filled with products, EcoPure can make any in-room amenity collection very environmentally friendly.
What does plastic with EcoPure look like?
EcoPure does not affect the look or feel of plastic. Unless told, you would never know that it’s there.
Is EcoPure safe?
EcoPure meets international standards for safety and biodegradation, is FDA compliant, and is CFIA approved for food contact.
What is the shelf life of plastic treated with EcoPure?
The shelf life is the same as plastic that is not treated with EcoPure. Biodegradation occurs only when EcoPure treated plastic enters a microbialrich environment, aka a landfill.
Who else uses EcoPure?
While new to hospitality, more than 300 companies worldwide have already integrated EcoPure into plastic water bottles, shoes, trash bags and
many other plastic items.
EcoPure – International Testing & Approvals
- FDA compliant and CFIA approved for food contact EcoPure treated, products have been successfully tested in both anaerobic (ASTM D5511) and aerobic (ASTMD5338) tests to verify biodegradation in a landfill environment.
- ASTM D5511 – Products with EcoPure are shown to biodegrade under the ASTM D5511, which is a biodegradable testing standard that simulates typical landfill conditions. The AST D5511 is also equivalent to the ISO standard ISO 15985:2004.
- UL Environment Certification on ASTM D5511 tested EcoPure products – testing has been conducted and UL Environmental biodegradable certification given on EcoPure treated products.
- Gel Permeation Chromatography (GPC) – Products with EcoPure tested in typical landfill conditions show that polymer chains have been brokendown with GPC.
We can incorporate EcoPure into the following brands packaging:
- All Aigner Ranges
- Carmen’s Spa Care
- Wunderkind by Wolfgang Joop